Tuesday 8 March 2011

International Women's Day 2011

Today people all over the world are celebrating the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day. And it's got me thinking about my portrayal of women in the Pax Britannia books. One of my editors (who is of the female persuasion herself) once pointed out that I go into great detail when describing the women in my books but by comparison gloss over the appearance of the men much more.

In my stories I have consciously tried to make the female characters more than just damsels in distress for Ulysses Quicksilver to rescue but have I succeeded? What do you think of characters like Kitty Hawke, Jenny Haniver, Eliza, Katarina Kharkova and Emilia Oddfellow? I'm plotting UQ8 at the moment and am trying very hard to make sure that the main female protagonist isn't a cliche. Only time, and the publication of my as yet untitled eighth Pax Britannia novel in 2012, will tell...

No comments: